PowerPivot Excel 2013 offers the add-in of PowerPivot for self service Business Intelligence. To access these features you must activate the Power Pivot add-in.
- Filter data when importing.
- Rename tables and columns as you import data in PowerPivot.
- Manage the model and create relationships using drag and drop in the Diagram View.
- Apply formatting (to be used in Power View and PivotTable reports).
- Define your own calculated fields to use throughout a workbook.
- Define key performance indicators (KPIs) to use in PivotTables.
- Create user-defined hierarchies to use throughout a workbook.
- Define perspectives.
- Author your own calculations by writing advanced formulas using Data Analysis Expressions (DAX) language
For more information on what is new in PowerPivot for Excel 2013 click here
If you have never used PowerPivot before here are the steps to load it from Excel 2013.
The add-in is available in Microsoft Office Professional Plus. It’s built-into Excel 2013 but is not enabled.
- Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
- In the Manage box, click COM Add-ins> Go.
- Check the Microsoft Office Power Pivot in Microsoft Excel 2013 box, and then click OK. If you have other versions of the Power Pivot add-in installed, those versions are also listed in the COM Add-ins list. Be sure to select the Power Pivot add-in for Excel 2013.
Now open the Power Pivot window
- Click Power Pivot.
- Click Manage.