Data Mining SQL Server 2012
Included in your purchase of Microsoft’s SQL Server 2012 is the ability to perform data mining techniques. This feature comes as part of Analysis Services via the Data Mining model.
There are 9 total algorithms included broken into 5 types within SQL Server. The types of Data Mining are:
From an IT perspective you can leverage your investment in SQL Server to perform data mining without needing to purchase additional software. Users that are interested in data mining but are unsure how it can be used are able to work with IT to build prototypes without needing additional specialized software such as SAS.
- Classification algorithms predict one or more discrete variables, based on the other attributes in the dataset.
- Regression algorithms predict one or more continuous variables, such as profit or loss, based on other attributes in the dataset.
- Segmentation algorithms divide data into groups, or clusters, of items that have similar properties.
- Association algorithms find correlations between different attributes in a dataset. The most common application of this kind of algorithm is for creating association rules, which can be used in a market basket analysis.
- Sequence analysis algorithms summarize frequent sequences or episodes in data, such as a Web path flow.
Here is the link to Technet’s Data Mining SQL Server 2012 Algorithms article